A visual prompt is a photograph, illustration or icon to represent a task. There are different types of visual prompts depending upon what each individual need. For example, we all use visual prompts in our daily lives. We see an icon on the restroom door, and we know it is a bathroom. We write a to do list and leave it on the counter – it is a visual reminder or prompt to complete the tasks.
Visual prompts are an effective way to enhance learning and memory retention.
We chose to use visual prompts for the I.YOU app we are developing. Visual prompts with text and exercises are believed to be a great way for knowledge retention and transferable skills. We believe that visual prompts such as images are very important to young adults and the apprehension of information. Here are some reasons that makes us believe it is the right approach:
1. Use images to illustrate concepts: Use images to illustrate complex concepts and ideas. This can help learners to understand the concept more easily and remember it better.
2. Use images to provide context: Use images to provide context for the material being taught. This can help learners to connect new information with existing knowledge and make it more meaningful.
3. Use images to create interest: Use images that are visually appealing and interesting to create engagement and interest in the material being taught.
4. Use images to evoke emotion: Use images to evoke emotions such as joy, sadness, or curiosity. This can help learners to remember the material more effectively.
5. Use images to summarize information: Use images to summarize key points or information. This can help learners to remember the information more easily and review it more quickly.
6. Use images to create associations: Use images to create associations between different concepts or ideas. This can help learners to remember the connections between different pieces of information.
7. Use images in combination with other teaching methods: Use images in combination with other teaching methods such as lectures, discussions, or hands-on activities. This can help to reinforce the material being taught and make it more memorable.
Overall, images can be a powerful tool for improving learning. When used effectively, they can help learners to understand and remember complex information more easily, and make the learning experience more engaging and enjoyable. A picture is worth a thousand words. Visual aids allow us to explain the meaning behind various vocabulary and structures without or with little explanation.
Leave a Reply